Deepened customer interaction while saving the team's precious time
- Pen & paper
INSEL BERLIN hired me to create a new website. The new website should attract customers and provide information about cultural events. The user should also have the opportunity to directly reserve rooms or the garden for personal events. Prior to the project, the booking request process was very time-consuming for the INSEL BERLIN team.
The main anticipated benefit was to optimize and automate the booking process to free up the team's valuable time.
An island in the middle of Berlin
INSEL BERLIN is a relaxed place where you can sit in the beer garden in the evening, meet friends, watch open-air movies or rent the space and organize events. INSEL BERLIN has three rooms and a large garden for rent.
Daily challenges, which need to be improved
I conducted a workshop with the INSEL BERLIN team to elicit problems that they want to have solved with the new website. We focused on customer pain-points and "time-wasters" that led to a lot of phone calls and email traffic every day and thus prevented the INSEL BERLIN team from doing their actual work. This is a short list of problems we tackled with this project:
- Adjusting opening hours of the garden depending on weather and business conditions
- Customers couldn't tell whether the location is open or not
- A manageable calendar of events is missing. Letting customers know what's on was cumbersome/impossible
- The users have no overview of the rooms and their location in the building. It was hard for them to imagine how the location could satisfy their event needs without talking it through on the phone.
- Customers have no information on the availability of room, leading to frustration and unnecessary calls
- INSEL BERLIN team entered all room availability manually on the website, a lengthy and error-prone process
A new look for INSEL BERLIN
A colleague designed a new and expressive logo. Based on the new logo and our workshop results I designed interface elements and icons for the new website. Furthermore, I created an illustration of the INSEL BERLIN building to help the user find orientation in the building. A design system helps to maintain flexibility throughout the design workflow.
Culture is one of the most
important topics for INSEL BERLIN
Upcoming events, news, and offers are anchored in the big slider. The boxes adapt to the color of the images and can be quickly filled via the CMS.
In the second part of the culture page ("Kultur"), a large and clear calendar follows.
Rent Yourself an Island
On the rental page ("Vermietung"), you can get all the information you need if you want to organize an event on INSEL BERLIN. An interactive graphic shows which rooms can be rented and where they are located in the building. Each room has its subpage and provides the user with all the details he needs to complete a request.